Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review of Olive Oil Desserts: Delicious and Healthy Heart Smart Baking





Have you tried olive oil for baking? Until I had the chance to review this book, I had never heard of such a thing! We are food network die-hard fans and I had never heard of baking with olive oil before.

I had the chance to review Micki Sannar's book, Olive Oil Desserts: Delicious and Healthy Heart Smart Baking. I looked through the entire book and picked out several recipes that I wanted to try. Then my husband looked through the ones that I had chosen, and after several minutes of going back and forth, we decided to try the Oatmeal Peanut Butter cookies.

Now, I know what you're thinking, E.V.O.O in cookies? Actually, you use a pure olive oil of your choice. If you are an olive oil user than you can choose one whose flavor you enjoy. If you are not a regular olive oil user, Micki's book offers suggestions.

So we tried the recipe and the cookies turned out really good. It made a lot of cookies and we ended up putting part of it in the freezer. We haven't thawed them out yet, but I love putting cookies in the freezer and being able to take them out later to have fresh baked cookies.

These cookies were so good ad moist! Our little boy LOVED these cookies. We had to cut him off after he ate a whole cookie because we made them kind of big and we were worried that he might have a tummy ache if he ate too much more. There is some fiber in there, ya know.

The next thing I want to try is the Chocolate Lava Cake. I've never tried one of those before so I'm really looking forward to it. We already bought the ramekins and everything so we will be trying those soon. Now that I think about it, we might be trying some this weekend.

What I like about this cookbook is that it offers a healthier alternative to butter. And you won't even miss having the butter in there. Many of Micki's recipes use butter extract that you can add for the butter flavor if you want. But Micki's book also says that it can be left out if you wish.

Overall, the cookbook is an attractive and easy to read guide to baking with Olive Oil. If you are interested in an alternative to baking with butter that is more heart healthy, you should definitely give this book a try. My family and I will be trying out many more of these recipes as time goes on. I would like to see if these recipes can replace many of the more traditional recipes we use- like the one for the chocolate chip cookies. I can't wait to try out more of Micki's mouthwatering goodies!

If you want to purchase a copy, you can get it on Amazon for a great price. The book also sells on QVC, and in other fine book stores.

No comments:

...

...
CashNet Sweepstakes